A 1-day STEPMaths Preparation Course for students sitting NSAA for entry to Cambridge. Takes place in the weekend before October half term.
If you are taking the NSAA this autumn, you will be tested on a number of skills you are unlikely to practise much at school.
In particular, you will have to quickly analyse and eliminate options in multiple choice questions, and you will have to decide (with no guidance from the question) which rule or formula to use for the quickest result.
Our Time-Saving Tricks course will lead you through a series of short questions to practise these skills and others in a structured way.
Our focus will be on simplification, avoiding mistakes, and spotting the most efficient technique to apply in each question.
You will have the chance to attempt problems yourself, discuss them with others, and see a solution or solutions presented by an expert tutor so that you can see and absorb every useful strategy and be able to apply it come the exam.
You will learn to:
- Breeze through calculations by spotting factors, approximations, and hidden Pythagorean triples & special triangles
- Quickly apply the geometry of circles and triangles to forces, optics, and other questions
- Master all the rules of logs and indices for use in simplifying or comparing sizes of terms
- Rapidly analyse functions for their roots, stationary values, and limiting behaviour
- Sidestep long passages of working using proportionality and dimensional analysis