A 4-day STEP Maths Preparation Course for students sitting CSAT for entry to Cambridge (or similar exams). Based primarily on material from the STEP and MAT exams, which are recommended by Cambridge as the best way to practise for the CSAT, together with original material in the same style. Comprises our 1-day MAT Long Questions Course followed by another 3 days of STEP and MAT practice. Takes place in October half term.
CSAT questions are unlike anything you will see at A-level and will require practice at problem solving, logical reasoning, and understanding abstract definitions. These are all skills highly prized by universities and should prove useful beyond the CSAT, including at interview and in preparing for your career as an undergraduate.
We focus on these skills in the MAT Long Questions course (first day). Working with partners, you will learn by practice how to approach abstract questions and present your thinking in a way that others can understand, while our tutors will present model solutions detailing how the examiners hope for their best candidates to think and write.
In the remaining three days, we will examine a variety of different problems and styles of Maths question.This portion of the course includes many STEP questions which will allow you to practise problem solving at the correct level for CSAT.
Includes all content from our MAT Long Questions Course:
- Sketch and analyse bizarre new functions, or construct them yourself
- Handle polynomials of any order
Master intricate rule-following questions
Learn to adjust every parameter and anticipate the consequences
Count and classify new abstract objects, possible and impossible
- Use relevant STEP Questions to deepen your understanding of polynomials and multivariate functions
- Master graph sketching through the use of problem style questions from multiple sources including STEP
- Gain greater fluency with advanced trig identities and problem solving with the chain, product and quotient rules