A 1-day STEPMaths Preparation Course for students sitting ECAA or a similar exam for entry to Cambridge, or another university. Takes place in October.
Following up our popular course on the rapid-fire short maths questions found in ECAA, we present a similar course targeted at the unique proof- and logic-based questions in the Advanced Maths section of the ECAA.
We know at this point in your preparation, you will probably have tackled the majority of the past papers, so this course will cover original questions that we have made up. The style of question found in paper 2 is unlike anything you will see at A-level and will require practice at logical reasoning, manipulating quantifiers, negations, and conditionals, and analysing proofs.
Working with partners, you will learn by practice how to:
- Confidently check if a condition is necessary or sufficient
- Use straightforward rules to analyse statements with multiple quantifiers, negations, and conditionals
- Immediately spot the sources of common flaws in proofs, such as additional or missed solutions
- Deal with counterexamples, consequences, and assumptions, even in completely unfamiliar contexts
- Avoid common pitfalls, like functions on limited domains, or manipulations that only work if a quantity is positive