A 3-day STEP Maths Preparation Course for students sitting STEP 1, 2 and 3 for entry to Cambridge, Warwick, UCL, Bath, Imperial College. Takes place over the Easter holidays. Part of a series of 4 STEP courses.
By now, you may well have been presented by a university with an offer that includes at least one STEP paper. You will also be past the halfway point of your A-level career, and you should be developing an awareness of how many new and difficult parts of the A-level syllabus there are for the STEP examiners to test you on. In other words, things are getting serious: a challenge has been thrown at your feet, and the time to prepare for it is running out.
Our long-running STEP course is ready to get serious with you. Its next instalment is focused on helping you get a firm grip on the hardest parts of the A-level syllabus and their application in some of the hardest STEP questions we can find. As usual, you will have a chance to work through specially-selected questions, both individually and in cooperation with some of your fellow applicants, with full solutions then presented for each question. However, this time we will also provide short introductions to some background theory that will deepen your understanding and experience of the material and give you some insight into what you will face at university.
We will achieve the following in the context of STEP:
- Master integration by parts and by substitution
- Develop a refined and expanded understanding of differential equations
- Learn to exploit trigonometric identities with speed and efficiency
- Gain a command over vectors and vector geometry
- Rapidly translate any kind of parametric equations into a sketch
- Adapt numerical methods to solve STEP questions